Search:

Devlopment of Electricity

      Electricity industry started in Jordan in 1937 when Amman municipality approved exchanging lighting of the streets of the municipality of Amman from kerosene lamps by two hundred electrical lamps. They were provided by Amman Company (the late Mohammad Ali Bdeir & partners) according to an annually renewable license.

The company rented an engine capacity of 70 horse-power from a mill so as to operate the mill during the day and light streets at night

In 1939
The company developed and bought a plot of land at Ras Al-Ain area including the first power generating plant in Jordan. At that time, the company collected the small size generators available at the municipality by allowing their owners to be shareholders at the new company. The company imported other generators. Total capacity reached 400 horse-powers and the capital was 5,600 Palestinian pounds. The company developed its activities by lighting streets at night and continually providing consumers with power. Therefore, Amman electricity was the first Arab company in charge of generating and distributing electricity through Arab funds and skills.

In 1945
Jordan electricity partnership was established to replace Amman Electricity Company; capital of 100,000 Palestinian pounds to cover the increasing power demand.

In 1953
The company increased its generating power by installing and operating two engines capacity of 600 horse-powers to cope with the increasing power demand; generating power was nearly 6,000 horse-powers.

In 1958
Three new generating units were installed capacity of 1,225 kW per unit; total generating power was 8,000 kW approximately.

In 1962
Jordan Electricity Company was incorporated with central Jordan Electricity Company in one company under name of Jordan Electricity CO. Ltd. The company was granted a franchise for fifty years as of 1962. To cover the increasing power demand, the company constructed Marka Power Station.

In view of the increasing power demand necessary for economical and social development, due to low level of electricity systems at the south governorates and for the urgent need an integral and strong electrical system infrastructure to cover all the parts of the kingdom and provide with sufficient quantities and high quality power for the Jordanian clients, the government made a study in 1964 to develop the electricity industry in Jordan. The result of which was a seven-year plan (1964-1971) to develop the electricity sector; it included the following elements.

    -  Establishing Jordan electricity authority to take over generating and transmitting and selling
         power to distribution companies on wholesale basis and distribute electrical power in the
         areas that are not subject to franchise companies.

    -  Establishing Jordan electricity project; including a central power plant consisting of fairly
         big size steam turbines.

    -  Improving and extending the existing power generating plants and constructing 
         a transmission network voltage of 132 kV to cover all parts of the kingdom and improve
         and develop the existing distribution networks.


In 1967
To execute the above mentioned plan, the government founded Jordan electricity authority in accordance with electricity law no. 21 of 1967 its duties were confined to:

    -  Generating electricity according to proper and economical basis meeting consumers needs.

    -  Settings up a national electrical grid to transmit electricity ensuring power transmit to all
         parts of the kingdom.

    -  Establishing sub-networks to distribute electrical power in the areas that are not subject to
         franchise companies.

In 1996
In September 1996, JEA was converted to a public share-holding company wholly owned by the government called the National Electric Power Company (NEPCO).

In 1999
NEPCO had been restructured into three companies based on activity:

    1.  Transmission Company: National Electric Power Company.

    2.  Generation Company: Central Electricity Generation Company.

    3.  Distribution Company: Electricity Distribution Company (EDCO).

    Electricity Sector Regulatory Commission was established in 2001.

In 2007, Central Electricity Generation Company was privatized, and in 2009, IDECO and EDCO have been privatized.


Growth of the Power Sector:

The rapid growth in the demand for power every year meant large-scale investments were necessary to expand the number of power stations and the power grid.
The installed capacity grew at a rapid growth rate to meet the demand and to provide sufficient reserve. Currently, the total installed power generating capacity in Jordan is about 3366MW. The system’s peak load is about 2770 MW. The production of electrical energy grew at an average growth rate of about 10% during the last 20 years where the total generated energy in the kingdom amounted to 14647 GWh in 2011. Almost 100% of the population are supplied with electricity. NEPCO`s capacity portfolio includes fuel oil-fired steam generating units, gas fired combustion turbines, diesel-fired combustion turbines and diesel engines. NEPCO used to provide all the bulk power to the national grid, except for that supplied by interconnected industrial companies (about 100 MW).
Developments of installed capacity; peak load and generated energy are shown in the general statistics tables.

NEPCO also operates the bulk power network in Jordan, which is composed principally of 400 and 132 kV circuits. The transmission system is structured on the north-south axis of Jordan. It is essentially a radial system with no looping except for a small ring around the main load center of Amman. The distribution systems are served from this system at 132 kV. The direct service bulk customers are also served from this system. There are about 3200 circuit-km of transmission lines currently operated at 132 kV, which represents about 77% of the total networks. In addition, there are 904 circuit-km of transmission lines operated at 400 kV . NEPCO also operates the main substations to provide services to the various distribution networks, which have an aggregate capacity of about 10303 MVA.
In addition, the Jordanian Power System is interconnected with Egypt Power System through a 400 kV submarine cable crossing the Gulf of Aqaba in the southern part of Jordan . And in the northen part of Jordan it is connected with the Syrian Power System through a 400 kV single circuit transmission line.